3402 Plantation Road, NE
Roanoke, Virginia 24012
A Historical Sketch of the Virlina District -- Church of the Brethren
Although Brethren settled in our areas of North Carolina and Virginia by 1745, organization of congregations proceeded
slowly. A number of our oldest congregations date their beginning according to building dates. However, it is
apparent that several of these are older than the age commonly observed. The Fraternity congregation, near Winston-Salem
claims to be the senior congregation within our bounds. It was organized by 1775. Brethren strength in southern
Virginia by the time of the War between the States was centered in Botetourt, Roanoke, Franklin and Floyd Counties.
The Annual Meeting was held in Franklin County in 1797 and in Roanoke County in 1845. As the church grew and
prospered during the pre-war years it became necessary to relieve the increasing load of business before the Annual
Meeting. During the 1850's there arose the practice of holding General Council Meetings for the Brethren in Virginia.
Conditional approval of districts was given in 1856, however this was not implemented due to war. The war years
saw the Virginia, North Carolina and Tennessee Brethren hold their own Annual Meetings. These were held in Botetourt
and Franklin Counties during 1863 and 1864 respectively.
In 1866 the First District of Virginia was organized with nine congregations. These were Botetourt, Roanoke,
Franklin, Floyd, Montgomery and Alleghany in Virginia, Monroe and Fayette in West Virginia, and Fraternity in North
Carolina. The territory of the district included a large portion of southern Virginia, southern West Virginia,
and central and eastern North Carolina. Not much is known of the early work of the district since minutes were
not kept prior to 1877 and are missing with one exception through 1891. While most congregations were rent in
twain by the Old Order division in the 1880's, there seems to have been a spirit of charity prevailing which allowed
continued shared use of congregational meeting houses. At least two congregations, Spruce Run and Johnsville,
shared buildings with the Old German Baptist Church as late as the 1950's. Prominent among the early leaders
in the district were Elders B.F. Moomaw, Peter Nininger, Peter Crumpacker, John Bowman, Joel Naff, Hardin P. Hylton
and Jonas Graybill. These and others helped spread the gospel through sacrifice and diligence. Annual Meeting
was held within the district in 1869, 1899, 1952 and 1957.
By 1902 there were 38 congregations that comprised the First District. Amongst those no longer extant were Alleghany,
Antioch (Bedford County), Charleston (W.Va.), Oak Grove (near LaGrange, Lenoir County, N.C.), Den Hill, Greenbriar
(W.Va.), Johnsville, Mt. Carmel, Mt. Jackson, Pleasant Hill and Swan Creek (Halifax County). Those still active,
but with new names include Botetourt (comprising Daleville, Troutville and Cloverdale with meeting points), Chestnut
Grove (Pleasant View), Monroe (Spruce Run), Roanoke City (Roanoke, First) and Walker's Well (New Bethel in Pittsylvania
County). Thirteen elders and sixteen delegates represented seventeen congregations at the 1902 District Conference.
The entire district organization that year took up part of one page with the only board being the District Mission
Board consisting of eight men. Not until 1917 were women recorded as receiving appointment to any district office.
During the late nineteenth century agitation began to form smaller, more compact districts. This was seen as an
advantage in promoting Sunday School and Home Mission work, as a way to increase attendance at district meetings
and as a recognition of the differing approaches necessary for urban and rural mission. After much deliberation,
the 1912 District Meeting at Johnsville adopted a plan which created the Southern District of Virginia from the
Floyd and Franklin sections of the First District. All territory in Roanoke, Bedford, Campbell, Botetourt, Alleghany
and Craig Counties in Virginia remained in the First District; as well as all territory north of the Norfolk and
Western mainline west of Roanoke County. The territory of First District gradually crept eastward to include
Crewe by 1916, Hopewell by 1923 and the Norfolk-Virginia Beach area in 1953. As the Eastern District of Virginia
contracted in size existing congregations and fellowships such as Bethel (1942), Richmond (1955), Newport News
and Ivy Farms (1967) were added. The First District was highly successful at the creation of urban congregations
in the Roanoke area. These derived from the Roanoke City congregation which was organized in September 1893 to
serve the many Brethren coming from neighboring counties seeking employment. The city church worked diligently
at the establishment of Sunday School missions and grew to 1,000 members by 1923. During the following two years
the Ninth Street, Central and Tinker Creek (Hollins Road) congregations were organized independently. This change,
although influenced to some degree by tension over the "dress" question, provided a necessary stimulus
to growth. By 1929 the combined membership of these four congregations was over 1,600, a significant proportion
of the 4,491 total members of the 28 congregations in the district. By 1970 First Virginia had 41 congregations
with 7,978 members.
The Southern District strengthened the home mission work in its territory, particularly in Franklin, Pulaski and
Henry Counties of Virginia and in Spray (now Eden), N.C. Beginning in 1913 with 24 congregations, by 1970 it had
40 congregations with 6,666 members. Among the prominent leaders of the Southern District prior to mid-century
were L.A. Bowman, S.H. Flora, A.N. Hylton, D.A. Naff, J.A. Naff, W.H. Naff and H.W. Peters.
Camping ministry began at Camp La Monte on Tinker Mountain in Roanoke County during 1923. Beginning as a week
for youth sponsored by the Bridgewater - Daleville system, the offerings grew through 1926 to include other age
groups. The lack of water on site and the difficulty of carrying it up a rugged mountain side led local leaders
to seek a better site. Camp Bethel was established in 1927 with the purchase of 62 acres of land near Nace, in
Botetourt County, Virginia for $1,500. Featuring a free flowing spring, it was the only Church of the Brethren
summer camp in the Southeastern Region for a number of years. Originally incorporated by a predecessor to the
Interdistrict Youth Cabinet and later owned by regional or district bodies, its separate incorporation was dropped
in 1981. Since 1960, Camp Bethel has been the sole outdoor ministry center of the Virlina District and its predecessors.
It was accredited by the American Camping Association in 1971. Intensive efforts since the early 1970's have
developed Camp Bethel, now having nearly 500 acres, as a year-round asset to the Virlina District, the ecumenical
church and the Roanoke Valley.
Agitation for a district sponsored "old folk's home" began in the 1890's. Several study committees were
appointed beginning in 1896 before Friendship Manor became a reality in November 1966. This facility expanded
its assets and services rapidly. Direct connection with the Virlina District was severed during late 1986.
During 2004 the facility became known as the Friendship Retirement Center.
Until the late 1920's the mission and ministry of the district was directed by volunteers who were reimbursed
for expenses. However, during 1928 the First District obtained the services of Walter M. Kahle as "fieldman"
for its program. During 1929 the Southern District followed by employing Henry C. Eller as "fieldman"
in conjunction with a half-time pastorate at Bethlehem. Since that time Cecil C. Ikenberry, Raymond Peters, Carson
M. Key, Henry C. Eller and H. Lawrence Rice have served as district staff in First District and M. E. Clingenpeel,
Guy E. Wampler, Sr. and Rufus McDannel in the Southern District. During 1962 the field program of First and Southern
Districts was combined under the leadership of H. Lawrence Rice in Roanoke. At this time secretarial assistance
was obtained. The Southern District office/parsonage at Collinsville, built in 1955, was sold. The offices were
relocated to a newly constructed district office facility adjacent to Friendship Manor on Hershberger Road, N.W.
in Roanoke during 1966. This was the first district office built for this purpose in the Church of the Brethren.
Upon the departure of H. Lawrence Rice in 1968, Robert R. Jones became the Interim District Executive. Jones had
been called as Associate Executive Director on January 1, 1968. He was joined by a new Executive Director, Owen
G. Stultz, on February 1, 1969. Following Jones full time employment as Executive Director of Bethel Ministries,
Doris M. Quarles was employed as Associate District Executive on a part time basis beginning in 1985 and gradually
increased to full time by 1996. She retired on December 31, 1999. Emma Jean Woodard has served as Associate
District Executive since January 1, 2000. Subsequent to Stultz' retirement on August 31, 1992, David K. Shumate
became District Executive on January 1, 1993 and continues to serve. Jeannette W. Patterson, currently serving
as Director of Support Services, first began work at the district office on August 7, 1968.
The 1960 Annual Conference adopted a position urging a reduction in the number of districts from 48 to 18 over
a ten-year period. Under this plan First and Southern were to unite with Southern Virginia being the surviving
entity. The first concrete step toward reunification was the institution of a joint district staffing program.
Other cooperative efforts included joint ownership of Camp Bethel and Friendship Manor. During 1969-71 committees
representing both districts negotiated and subsequently made recommendations favoring merger. However, a called
Southern Virginia District Conference on April 18, 1971 failed to approve this recommendation. The First District,
meeting in May 1971 approved merger by an overwhelming margin. The regular Southern Virginia District Conference
reconsidered the matter in July 1971 and approved merger by a slim margin. After nearly sixty years of separation
the two were one once more! The new Virlina District was instituted at a uniting conference held in Christiansburg
on October 30, 1971.
The work of the district is under the direction of a board of thirty-three members. Thirty are elected by the
District Conference from ten areas and at-large. Two are members of the Outdoor Ministries Committee (which has
oversight of Camp Bethel), including the chairperson. Another member by virtue of office is the chairperson of
the Church Extension Committee. The board has four commissions: Ministry, Witness, Stewards and Nurture. These
in turn appoint twelve subcommittees. The executive committee of the board appoints three other standing committees
including Church Extension and Discipleship and Reconciliation. Communication to over 2,000 leaders throughout
the district is effected through the HEADLINER. This eight-page newsletter is professionally printed and distributed
six times yearly. Nearly 200 key pastors, ministers and leaders receive "The Minister's Memo" approximately
eight times per year with detailed information pertaining to specific events and other information of interest.
The advent of electronic mail has proved advantageous for certain items by providing speed with cost savings.
Most of our congregations are linked to the internet at this time.
Virlina is recognized as a new church development leader within the Church of the Brethren. Since 1981 eight
new fellowships have been created in Blacksburg, Hopewell, Chester, Midlothian and Burnt Chimney, Virginia; as
well as Durham, Concord and Calabash, N.C. This activity followed a hiatus in creation of new churches which
lasted nearly two decades. In addition, six meeting points and one fellowship have been recognized as congregations
since 1971. Two meeting points, four congregations and one fellowship have been disorganized during the same
period. New fellowships are being contemplated for Oak Ridge, N.C., the Bedford County side of Smith Mountain
Lake and the Roanoke Valley.
Social ministries such as the Little Kentucky Project and Project W.A.R.M. have been created by the Brethren and
secular efforts such as Habitat for Humanity have had our strong support. Currently under study is the possibility
of a group home for the developmentally disabled. Disaster response volunteers are dispatched throughout the
United States in cooperation with the Brethren Service Center at New Windsor, Maryland. A van and trailer are
utilized to aid this work. Ecumenical involvements include full participation in the Virginia and West Virginia
Councils of Churches, as well as contacts through refugee resettlement and disaster work. Over $250,000 has been
given to specific disaster response projects by the district since 2000, as well as untold hours of labor.
Minister's fellowship groups meet in the Northern (Roanoke), Southern, Tidewater and West Virginia areas on a regular
basis. Persons are invited to consider the ministry through an innovative "calling and discernment"
process. While strongly supporting Bethany Theological Seminary in Richmond, IN. as the only graduate school of
theology for the Church of the Brethren, the Virlina District provides ministers who cannot leave the area with
minimal training through the Christian Growth Institute. More advanced training is available through T.R.I.M.
(TRaining In Ministry), co-sponsored with the seminary, the General Board and Bridgewater College. Placement,
support and evaluation of pastors is carried out by the District Executive with guidance from the Commission on
Ministry. Matters of discipline are handled by the Ethics Committee.
Stewardship campaigns have been held periodically to remind individuals and congregations of the great opportunities
and needs which face us. These have included "Decade of Development" during the 1970's which enabled
a transformation at Camp Bethel, "Virlina Vision" in the mid 1980's, "Mission and Ministry"
and "Forward In Faith: Continuing the Work of Jesus" during the 1990's. These aided New Church Development
and other ministries in addition to camping programs. Beginning in early 2002, a new resourcing effort entitled
"Trailblazer II", was undertaken to eliminate indebtedness on a 246-acre addition to Camp Bethel. By
late 2004, over $600,000 had been raised and the debt eliminated. A Long Range Planning Committee is currently
working at integrating the support of major new initiatives through 2015.
Age and gender programs include a broad range of activities. A highlight is the FaithQuest retreat held every
second year for high school sophomores, juniors and seniors. This focuses upon spiritual development and growth.
Youth gatherings are clustered in the Roanoke area and provide a strong supplement to local youth groups. Strong
women's fellowships in the Southern and Northern Areas provide opportunity for learning, fellowship and support
of mission. A men's fellowship is organized on a district-wide basis and is particularly supportive of Camp Bethel.
During 1998, Pilgrimage: A FaithQuest for Adults was initiated. This spiritual development opportunity for adults
continues to be a tremendous addition to the district program.
Lenten services are held on an area basis by Brethren in Floyd, Franklin, Henry and Roanoke Counties. Franklin
County congregations are known for their strong, jointly held musical programs. Brethren in the Tidewater area
(Richmond/Hopewell/Virginia Beach/Newport News) hold an annual day-long mid-winter gathering. Camp Bethel continues
to be a center for much intra-district fellowship and service. Heritage Day, the Labor Day camporee, the Memorial
Day Weekend Spiritual Retreat, gospel sings, workdays and various retreats, in addition to a strong and well-attended
summer camping program anchor this central role. The District Conference, held yearly on the second full weekend
of November, provides a wondrous time of worship, fellowship, celebration and mission planning for hundreds of
ministers, leaders and laypersons from throughout our three state area. The worship is characterized by inspiring
speakers and glorious instrumental and vocal music. Displays highlight the work of district and denomination.
Various meals provide an opportunity for fellowship and sharing. Since 1973 the Annual Conference of the Church
of the Brethren has been held within our bounds on five occasions, Roanoke in 1974, Richmond in 1977 and 1992,
Norfolk in 1986 and Charleston during 2004. The 2008 Annual Conference will mark the 300th Anniversary of the
Church of the Brethren and will be held jointly with the Brethren Church in Richmond, Virginia. Three district
natives have served as Annual Conference moderator, M. Guy West in 1968, Ira Peters in 1978 and Judy Mills Reimer
in 1995. Both Peters and Reimer were members of the Williamson Road Church of the Brethren. In addition, Edward
K. Zeigler, pastor of Williamson Road, served in 1960.
Ninety-two congregations, fellowships, projects and meeting points with 11,130 members comprise the Virlina District
at the beginning of 2005.